BOSCO HOUSE, Hobart Campus
ST JOHN BOSCO, founder of the Salesians of Don Bosco
St John Bosco founded the religious congregation, the Salesians of Don Bosco, in Turin, Italy, in 1859
John, who was also known as Don Bosco, was born on 16 August 1815, in the hamlet of Becchi, Italy. His father died when John was two years old and at the age of 12, he went to live and work on a farm in a nearby village. At 15 he finally attended school in Chieri. After school he took on every job he could find; learning a number of trades including those of tailor, carpenter, blacksmith and waiter.
In 1835 he entered the seminary; six years later he was ordained a priest. He gathered other men and women to work with him and he established a society under the patronage of St Francis de Sales. His followers became known as the Salesian Society (the Salesians) which has become one of the largest religious congregations in the Catholic Church with over 17,000 members on five continents.
John Bosco was known as a great educator who put his religious beliefs into practice by employing teaching methods based on love rather than punishment. His Salesians set up schools as well as special homes for orphaned or neglected boys.
Don Bosco died on 31 January 1888, and, in recognition of his work with disadvantaged youth, he was canonised by the Catholic Church in 1934. His feast day is 31 January.
Today, the Salesian congregation is one of the largest religious congregations in the Catholic Church, operating in more than 125 countries and involved with education, welfare, human development, missions, parishes and youth centres.
The Salesians came to Australia in 1922 and to Hobart in 1946 to run “Boys Town”, an orphanage that had been established by the Archdiocese in Glenorchy. This developed into Savio College in 1956. In 1973, all the Catholic schools in Glenorchy – St John’s Primary, Holy Name School, Savio Primary and Savio College – amalgamated to become Dominic College, the first co-educational Catholic college in southern Tasmania.
Links with GYC
SALESIANS OF DON BOSCO is a founding congregation of GYC
BOSCO HOUSE (Hobart Campus)
DOMINIC COLLEGE, Glenorchy, is owned and operated the Salesians, and is an Association College of GYC
GYC’s Glenorchy Campus was Dominic College’s secondary campus at the time GYC was founded. Years 11 and 12 moved to GYC and Year 10 was relocated in Tolosa Street.
A Salesian priest was a founding GYC staff member.
GYC Glenorchy Campus has a close link with the Glenorchy Parish which is currently under the pastoral care of a Salesian priest, Fr Lawrie Moate SDB.
Since 2014, an OzBosco group has been encouraging deepening relationships between GYC and Dominic College, through students who wish to keep the spirit of Don Bosco alive today.
John Bosco’s appeal centred on his belief that education needed to be a ‘matter of the heart’, and said that the boys must not only be loved, but know that they are loved. His emphasis on good relationships calls GYC to develop a spirit of great trust and co-operation while ensuring that the process of teaching and learning is effective and enjoyable.
2018 – leadership