Guilford Young College has a Careers Advisor on each Campus.
Glenorchy Campus: MRS JOANNE HANEVEER firstname.lastname@example.org ph 6238 4350
Hobart Campus: MR RICHARD CLARK, email@example.com ph 6238 4300
Careers development is the progress and actions taken by a person throughout a lifetime, especially those related to that person’s occupations. A career is often composed of the jobs held, titles earned and work accomplished over a long period of time, rather than just referring to one position.
Guilford Young College has a career education program that is designed to deliver planned learning activities that assist our students develop attributes and skills so they can make informed decisions about their study and work/or work options.
One aspect that Futures Education encompasses is the emphasis to students that they will have more than one career in a lifetime and by building their knowledge and skills while at school they will be able to transfer this acquired knowledge and skills to enhance their future job prospects. Our career education program is designed to deliver planned activities that assist our students to learn about their future so they can make informed decisions about their study, training and work options. We encourage students to discover their pathway by exposing them to opportunities and experiences that may guide them in a positive direction.
The program encompasses many career-related activities including:
- individual and group conversations with careers advisors on each campus;
- the mainland university expo;
- Careers Expo;
- Pathways Expo;
- visits by the Australian Defence Force Academy personnel;
- career talks from experts in their chosen fields;
- visits by group and training organisations to assist transitioning to traineeships, apprenticeships and the workforce;
- University of Tasmania workshops;
- subject selection counselling;
- Morrisby Career Testing;
- attendance at a variety of ‘taster days’ including medicine, pharmacy, nursing/paramedics and biomedical research; and,
- assistance with applications for university, TAFE, scholarships and bursaries, employment, the Defence Force and the Police Academy.
It is always pleasing to see students take the initiative to meet with us and learn more about their possible future. We are always on the lookout for new ways to support students in their transition beyond College.
TO KEEP UP-TO-DATE WITH CAREER ADVICE AND EVENTS, PLEASE FOLLOW OUR POSTS UNDER NEWS/PATHWAYS and EVENTS (accessible from the home page menu at the top of this page)
feature photo: GYC Careers Expo, 2015 … students, presenters and teachers, in the Bosco Centre, Glenorchy Campus